Mar 31, 2008

You supposed to be dead and The Spirit is the prime suspect

In this walk we are dead to sin. But then why do we strive to so quickly live therein?

Our life in Christ is a battle to constantly put to death thinking patterns, strongholds, rebellions, habits, behaviors that seek to resurrect the old man. Isn't my old man dead by the Spirit in Christ? Hasn't Christ put to death the evil deeds of the old man?

Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ has traded beauty for ashes (Isaiah 61:3). We have received righteousness in the Lord Jesus Christ - He IS our righteousness (Rom 5:21, Philippians 3:9). By the Spirit we put to death the deeds of the body (Romans 8:13). I know in my own life, I struggle to try to put these deeds to death by my own flesh. While my flesh can maintain an unspiritual "righteousness" according to the flesh, this power to put to death the deeds of the body must be accomplished by the Spirit. My own efforts cannot kill the flesh, I cannot do it. I cannot be dead to the body unless the Spirit is the one who does the job.

But don't worry -- It's not a murder. Your flesh deserves to be dead, all it has done is reap the sin that deserves death. So if the Spirit has killed the flesh, it is well deserved. In fact, it is necessary. For if we live according to the flesh, we will die, but if by the Spirit we put to death the deeds of the body we will live -- oh what a promise that is found in HIM (Summary of Romans 8:13)

May my flesh be put to death by the Spirit to the end that I might be conformed to the image of the blessed Son of God.






You supposed to be dead

No comments: