Mar 28, 2008

The Laying Aside

I have a lot of stuff lodged in my basement. For example, I still have a collection of old Stevie Wonder cassettes (no LPs thank you). I have old books I bought and studied while in graduate school, none of which I still use today. My wife has gotten me out of the habit of saving old clothes, I give those away more quickly now. But I still have a tendency to want to keep or hold on to things I don't need.

1 Peter 2:1-3 reads..."Therefore, laying aside all malice, all deceit, hypocrisy, envy, and all evil speaking, a newborn babes desire the pure milk of the word, that you may grow thereby, if indeed you have tasted that the Lord is gracious."

In the Christ-walk there is always a "laying aside" before there is a desire for Christ or a "putting on" (Ephesians 4:22, Romans 13:12). We must actively lay aside these speech patterns, thought patterns and desires for a new desire - namely our Lord and Christ. He is the pure milk of the Word that is worth being desired. This will not happen passively but requires a willingness to toss out, throw away or "cast off" the things that are not like Him.

Lord Jesus, gives us hearts as babes. Hearts that desire the purity that is YOU. Lord gives us hearts that reflect on your attributes, your person if indeed we have tasted that you are loving, gracious and merciful. Amen.

Christ is all.

No comments: